Friday 18 October 2013

Interview: The Cheek of it School of Burlesque and Cabaret.


Photo: Tigz Rice Studios | FB

The thing that I love about hen dos is just how varied they are. I've already heard so many interesting stories about different activities to do, some of which I would never have thought of (sausage making is the weirdest so far!). I've been hearing lots about burlesque parties lately - it's something of a growing trend, but I also think there are a lot of misconceptions about it too.

So when The Cheek Of It offered me the chance to find out a little bit more about their Burlesque School, I was super excited to do a little interview and share it with you guys. So over to Felicity Furore...

1. Hello! So could you tell us a little bit about The Cheek of It?
The Cheek of It! School of Burlesque and Cabaret is based on three words; empowerment, inspiration and fun! We think everybody should have a bit of glitter in their knickers! We were founded in 2007 by Zoe Charles, or Lady Cheek if you catch her onstage, with the aim to make the world a little bit cheekier!

2. What kind of classes and courses do you offer?
We run Showtime beginners and Spotlight advanced burlesque courses throughout the year, with a big graduation show at the end – and our Cheekettes just keep getting better and better! Every Wednesday we have a mid-week wiggle at Pineapple Dance studios in London, and we're always sending out our hen party teachers to glamorous locations!

3.Are they suitable for people who’ve dabbled in burlesque before or squarely aimed at beginners?
They're suitable for anyone. I'd happily join in one of the parties even now. It's all about letting go, having fun with friends and feeling awesome, no matter how much experience you have.

4.I know people will be wondering... do they have to take their clothes off?
Not unless they really insist! We do have a striptease portion of the party, but this is generally limited to either scarves or gloves. I have a stash of lovely long black silky gloves that make you feel sultry and seductive the moment you put them on, let alone begin to take them off! I like to focus on creativity, learning about all the ways you can take the item off while thinking about your character. Sexy, cheeky or cheesecake pin up, a mere glove peel can speak volumes!

5.Do you find people are nervous about doing burlesque classes or does it vary?
It varies a lot! People can have very different perceptions of burlesque, and it can take a moment to get across the notion that it's not all about being overly sexy and getting your tassels out! We have a few warm up tasks that tend to help people relax, let their guard down and just have fun! But of course, there are some who are raring to get going before you can even say 'shimmy'!

6.Can you give us any information about how much your classes cost?
There's a few different options with regard to cost, depending on whether you'd like to have the party in your own home or if you'd like us to find you a venue. Parties are very competitively priced, especially when you consider we cater for groups up to 25 people! Parties are from £250 for a two hour workshop including a cheeky gift for the bride-to-be.

7.Is there anyone you wouldn’t recommend your classes to?
Not at all, I believe that everyone can use a little extra shimmy and sparkle in their life!

8.What do you think people take away from your burlesque school?
I am a great believer in the power of burlesque to inspire and empower. Having been with the Cheek of It from the very start, I know from personal experience what an amazing effect it can have. I even remember my first class with Lady Cheek, and how my confidence grew right from my very first shimmy! If people go away from a class with a warm glow, a cheeky grin, and an extra slither of confidence, our work is done.

9.Do people need to bring anything to burlesque classes?
It's good to wear something you feel fabulous in. I also find that bringing a pair of heels or other fabulous shoes really does help bring out that all important showgirl strut!

10.How did you/your colleagues get into burlesque?
I began burlesque after graduating and moving back home. I went to an arts university and missed being around creative and theatrical people. Alongside that and my addiction to both glitter and beautiful lingerie, it seemed to be the obvious path to follow! After a few classes, I got completely hooked and here I am, glad to report that my since the start burley journey, I have met many wonderful, inspiring, creative people, not to mention expanded my collection of sparkly underwear!


Questions? Comments? Check out The Cheek of It on Facebook and Twitter or you can Facebook or tweet Felicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment