Friday 13 September 2013

14 Easy Cocktails


I personally think that cocktails are an essential part of any hen do. Or any day of the week, really. Cocktails – basically essential for getting me through life. Now, obviously the best way to have cocktails is for some handsome man (or lady) to spend ages mixing and muddling and shaking and serving it on a little square napkin but that’s not always possible. So for when you are just hanging out – say, AT A HEN DO – here are some of my favourite cocktail recipes that you can make at home.

All of these are cocktails that you literally just pour, stir and drink. No fuss, no muss. Great in jugs, too!

Woo Woo
The last hen I went to, the bride drank this in copious amounts. As I haven’t been able to go near Archers since I was a teenager, I can’t really vouch for this recipe. But if you like that peachy devil drink, you’ll probably like this.
  • 1 shot Peach Schnapps e.g. Archers
  • 1 shot Vodka
  • Cranberry Juice, to taste.

Ferrari Jack
I think of this as kind of a blokey cocktail. But I’m a very girlie girl, and this is one of my favourites, so I don’t know what I’m talking about. Probably that it’s a cocktail that boys will like, as well as girls.
  • 1 shot Amaretto
  • 1 shot Jack Daniels
  • Coke, to taste.

Amaretto & Cranberry
Technically this isn’t a cocktail, as cocktails have to have 3 ingredients to qualify. It is super yummy, though. Try it!
  • 1 shot Amaretto
  • Cranberry Juice, to taste.


White Russian
I love creamy booze but I also don't recommend mixing it with other types of booze. That way sickness lies.
  • 1 shot Vodka
  • 1 shot Kahlua
  • Milk or cream, to serve

Black Russian
Way more up my street than White Russians and easier to make! Exactly the same as above, but instead of milk/cream, use coke.

Sangria
An awesome way to utilise cheap red wine. And it's got fruit in it, so it's healthy!
  • 3 parts red wine
  • 2 parts orange juice
  • 1 part lemonade
  • Fresh fruit slices to serve

Pimms
Fruit! Healthy! Not just for summer, either - try Winter Pimms with hot apple juice and a dash of rum, or instead of mixing with lemonade, mix with Prosecco. Classy and boozy.
  • 1 part Pimms
  • 3 parts lemonade
  • Fresh fruit slices to serve


Sea Breeze
A classic drink - again, not my favourite (I hate grapefruit!) but it's super easy and popular.
  • 1 shot Vodka
  • 1 shot Grapefruit
  • Cranberry Juice, to taste

Tequila Sunrise
Grenadine makes drinks look fancy, but is really inexpensive. Even though this has tequila in it (source of many a terrible hangover), this is quite a refreshing fruity drink. Well. Depending on how much tequila you use.
  • 2 shots tequila
  • Dash of Grenadine
  • Orange Juice, to taste

Sex on the Beach
Oh, this takes me back to Lloret de Mar, 2001. Archers. Never again.
  • 1 shot Vodka
  • 1 shot Archers
  • Equal parts Orange and Cranberry Juice, to serve

Kir Royale
Champagne cocktails seem posh, but can be pretty reasonably priced - let's face it, we really mean Cava or Prosecco when we say champagne, don't we?
  • 1 shot Cassis
  • Champagne, to taste

Gin Buck
Mmmmm, gin. Ginger ale is super warming - good for a winter hen!
  • 2 shots gin
  • Ginger Ale, to taste

Jäger bombs
I hear this drink is popular with the kids. I haven't tried it - I KNOW. But I don't like Jager or Red Bull, I feel I am not its target audience.
  • 1 shot Jagermeister
  • Red Bull, to taste

Punch
So, you've got a random collection of booze... and juice. Throw it together, call it punch. WIN.


Why not ask all your hens to bring a different spirit and mixer so you don’t get any doubles? Then hold your own cocktail event. You can even take it in turns making up jugs of cocktails and passing them around – an excellent way to spend an evening, don’t you think?

2 comments:

  1. All of these cocktail names make me remember certain nights, or make me feel varying levels of queasiness haha! Great post though - one to bookmark for definite! I do love a cocktail, and anything cocktail related on a hen do would be right up my street.

    Beth // SANS SOUCI

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of doing cocktails but that's because I'm a drunk. Even so, that punch looks highly disturbing!

    ▲ WOLF WHISTLE ▲

    ReplyDelete